Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Yabaolu: Russian-town

Last October, I posted a few pictures from an area of Beijing that I half-jokingly called 'Russian-town,' where shop and restaurant signs seemed boast more Russian than Chinese. Although I termed the area 'Russian-town' as a sort of joke or tease, there is a relatively large Russian population in Beijing and the rest of China. In Beijing, much of the Russian population is centered around the Yabaolu area

Yesterday, The Global Times online Metro Beijing edition ran an interesting story on the large Russian population in Beijing. If you're curious to learn more about the Russian population in Beijing (like I am), you can read the article here.

Please note that the term 'Russian' both in the aforementioned article and in terms of the 'Russian' population of Beijing doesn't only refer to citizens to modern-day Russia, but also includes citizens of countries that used to be apart of the USSR, including (but not limited to) Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Belarus, Uzbekistan, etc.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share that article with you since it related back to something I posted a while back.

Happy Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment