Monday, May 16, 2011

Walkalator

Without a doubt, the best thing about being in Beijing this past year has been the to opportunity to reconnect and see family and family friends that I haven't seen in many years, not only in Hong Kong but also in Beijing.

One of these family friends I've reconnected with is the eldest daughter of my parents' close friends, named Ivy Tsui . When my family still  lived Hong Kong, she and I were neighbors. We played together often, and attended the same preschool.

Now, Ivy is a contemporary dancer based in Hong Kong. However she is currently in Beijing for a short while dancing with a company that brings together Hong Kong and mainland China dancers together.

As a result, I've had the great opportunity to two separate contemporary dance performances that she's been a part of since coming to Beijing. The performances (along with Ivy herself) have been great and eye-opening. I'm sure if it weren't for Ivy's participation in the shows, I would've never gone to see the shows on my own.

Below are two site-specific dance (dance performances outside of the traditional theater setting) videos that featuring Ivy and her fellow dancers. The videos and dances themselves were directed by Ivy's good friend, Alan Wong and were filmed in at the Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station.

If you have a free moment, the videos are definitely worth a look!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment