Friday, October 1, 2010

Happy Chinese National Day!

As I'm sure you figured out from the title of this post, today is Chinese National Day, which honors the founding of the People's Republic of China 61 years ago.

Naturally of course, today is a holiday. But in China, you don't just get one day off in honor of National Day, you get an entire week. Meaning, I do not have class from today (Friday) through next Thursday (7 October).

During this week off, which is sometimes referred to as "The Golden Week," many people travel both domestically and internationally. This year in particular has seen a record number of international trips booked by Chinese people.

However, since the second portion of my visa is still being processed and my passport is currently holed up in some Chinese government building, I'm a hostage of Beijing this week. Not to worry though, there's plenty to see and do here (as long as it doesn't rain).

For those of you wondering if I've actually come here to Beijing to study with this recent rash of holidays, don't you fret. This my last break until January 1st; after this week it's just day after day of intensive Chinese learning (aside from weekends). So while the rest of you (especially those of you in the US) are enjoying your Christmas, Thanksgiving, Veteran's Day and maybe even Columbus Day, think of me, because I'll be in class.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela,

    I really like your Tin On Mun square photo.
    Great angle and a very blue sky. I was in
    Beijing during spring break last year but
    didn't have the luck to see a beautiful TOM
    square like yours.

    ReplyDelete