Friday, November 5, 2010

Victory of the day:

being able to hold conversations completely in Mandarin with two train ticket agents, and two front desk people  in Mandarin without any of them giving me "What-is-this-crazy-girl-saying-to-me" looks.

And on top of that, today I also called a travel agent to ask her if she could help me book my winter break travels. We actually spoke on the phone for a good two minutes at least and we were able to communicate pretty well. Considering the fact that face-to-face communication in itself can sometimes be tricky with my terrible Mandarin, this phone conversation is pretty impressive. Not to mention the fact that I hate telephones & calling people in general, even if the person I'm calling speaks English.

Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of myself right now.

Now for a completely unrelated photograph from the Wangfujing Night Market:

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I know exactly how you feel; even now, I treasure those small victories every day. It's easy to take them for granted once you start speaking the language for a greater percentage of the time, but it's still really nice to appreciate this amazing skill we're acquiring! :)

    ReplyDelete